Super Foods = Super Health
Superfoods are a hot topic in nutrition, so what exactly are they?
Well according to Dr. Steven Pratt, author of New York Times bestseller ‘Superfoods RX’, the below 14 superfoods have incredible health benefits that can help protect against illnesses such as cancer and heart disease.
- Beans – help reduce obesity
- Blueberries – lower the risk for cardiovascular disease
- Broccoli – fights birth defects
- Oats – reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Oranges – help prevent strokes
- Pumpkin – lowers the risk of various cancers
- Wild Salmon – lessens the risk of heart disease
- Soy – lowers cholesterol
- Spinach – decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease
- Tea – helps to prevent osteoporosis
- Tomatoes – raise the skins sun protection factor
- Turkey – helps build a strong immune system
- Walnuts – reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes and cancer
- Yoghurt – promotes strong bones and a healthy heart
Dr Pratt’s superfood diet is based on the four following principles;
1. The most known beneficial nutrients with the least negative properties,
2. Superfoods are whole foods,
3. Food synergy, nutrients working together,
4. Simple and positive, eating a healthy diet of superfoods allows room for other foods that give you pleasure, such as chocolate.
I found this book very interesting and it includes many great superfood recipes. I am definitely going to try to incorporate these foods into our family meals. If you would like to find out more click on the link below.