Chicken and risoni soup
This soup recipe makes you feel good. It’s packed with flavour and very healthy. Flavours such as lemon, chicken, garlic and rosemary just work together so well, the result is delicious. I originally found this recipe in a Murdoch soups cookbook but have modified it to include more ingredients and flavour. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly spiced
- 1/2 celery, sliced thinly
- Large handful of button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup risoni
- 150g baby spinach
- 1 large sprig of rosemary (Dill also works as another option)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
Heat oil in saucepan over low heat and add leek, cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and stir for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat back to low, add the chicken fillets and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from soup and allow to cool. Then shred into small pieces.
Stir in risoni and simmer for 12 minutes or until cooked. Add the chicken back to soup along with rosemary sprig, spinach and lemon juice. Simmer on low for 2 minutes. Season to taste and serve. Serves well with crusty bread for dipping into broth.