Slow Cooker Series: Moroccan Spiced Beef Stew
I tried a beef slow cooker recipe tonight, and thankfully it was another winner. Delicious in fact!
My son was especially excited once he knew there were apricots in the dish. This dish has a lovely subtle sweetness that both you and the kids can enjoy.
Moroccan Spiced Beef Stew (Recipe from book ‘Slow Cooker’ By Parragon Books www.parragon.com/lovefood)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 225 ml red wine
- 700g chuck steak, cut into 5cm pieces
- 130g dried apricots, diced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 125ml water
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- cooked couscous, to serve
I also added 2 diced carrots and 2 diced celery sticks. Just so I could get more veggies into the dish as my son enjoys them.
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan, add the onion (and carrots/ celery if including) and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add the salt & pepper, cinnamon, ginger and cumin, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and bring to boil, cook for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the beef, apricots, honey and water, stir to mix. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 9 hours, until the mean is very tender.
- Serve hot with couscous, garnished coriander.