Winter Warmers: Cauliflower & red lentil soup
Another freezing cold day in Melbourne so craving some hot and healthy soup to warm me up and make me feel good. Today its Cauliflower and red lentil soup, deliciously nutritious. Leroy enjoyed the soup, the cauliflower breaks down along with the lentils so he was slurping it all up with the broth, and enjoying dipping his bread into the broth. I find soup is a great way to get veggies into him!
- 1 lrg head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cup of red lentils, rinsed
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, chopped
- 1ltr chicken stock
- 1ltr boiling water (use more water if you like more broth)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of saffron
- Cover lentils completely with boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes, drain most of water from bowl after 10 minutes.
- Saute leek in olive oil for a few minutes then add carrots, capsicum, garlic, ginger, and coriander. Stir to combine all for a few minutes.
- Pour in stock, boiling water, lentils and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add cauliflower & bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Season to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Variation – you can use 1 tsp of ground turmeric instead of saffron. Chill flakes or chilli paste can be added to your bowl separately to add some heat or you can add directly into pot if your kids like chilli.