Slow Cooker Series: Massaman beef curry
I am still really enjoying my slow cooker and I am slowly building recipes, today’s recipe was found at the Taste website, the link is below. It was very easy to prepare and very tasty. Massaman curry is mild so great for kids. Highly recommended.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 750g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 medium brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Thai massaman curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed, chopped
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 500g desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Steamed rice, chopped dry roasted
- Peanuts and coriander leaves, to serve
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to the bowl of a 5-litre slow-cooker.
Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add paste and garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to slow cooker. Add cardamom, cinnamon, lime leaves, coconut milk, potato, carrot, fish sauce and sugar. Cover with lid. Turn slow-cooker on to low.
Cook for 8 hours or until beef is tender.Discard cardamom pods and cinnamon. Add lime juice. Serve with rice and sprinkle with peanuts and coriander.