Chicken pasta herby 6-veg ragu from Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals by Jamie Oliver
Another great recipe by Jamie Oliver, perfect for the family, full of goodness and flavour. I love that this recipe blitzes up all the vegetables and they are hidden in the tomato pasta sauce. Once again it was not possible to complete in 15 minutes, I managed to get it to the table in 40 minutes. Give it a try.
- 1 large leek
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- 3 jarred red peppers
- olive oil
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 700g passata
- 320g dried wholewheat pasta
- 2 x 150g skinless chicken breast
- 3 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 1/2 a fresh chilli (i left out as too hot for Leroy)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- balsamic vinegar
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- Split the leek lengthways, rinse under the cold tap, then finely chop in the processor with the trimmed celery and carrot, the courgette and peppers. Put into the casserole pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, the thyme leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir regularly. Put the pasta into the large pan, cover with boiling salted water and cook according to packet instructions.
- Dice the chicken into 2cm chunks and put into the frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, tossing regularly until golden and cooked through. Stir the passata into the vegetables and simmer. Finely slice the bacon (and chilli) and add to the golden chicken, then squash in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher. Strip in the rosemary leaves, add the bay leaves and pine nuts, fry for a minute or two, until bacon is golden, then drizzle with balsamic.
- Season the sauce, drain the pasta, reserving a cupful of starchy cooking water, then toss the pasta with the sauce, loosening with the cooking water, if needed, and pour on to a platter. Scatter the chicken and bacon on top of the pasta and serve with a grating of Parmesan.