Slow Cooker Series: Carrot Cake
Did you know you can make desserts in your slow cooker? I tried this carrot cake recipe and loved it. Give it a try. If you don’t have a slow cooker you good use the recipe and just cook it in your oven, I believe it would be just as delicious.
Carrot Cake (Recipe from book ‘Slow Cooker’ By Parragon Books www.parragon.com/lovefood)
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 100g granulated sugar
- 55g soft light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra greasing
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 450g carrots, grated
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 35g sultanas (optional)
- cream to serve
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker with oil.
- Put the flour, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a small bowl and mix to combine. Put the eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar into a medium sized bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add the oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in the carrots and coconut, and the sultanas, if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared slow cooker. Place several sheets of kitchen paper on top of the slow cooker, then put the lid on top to secure the kitchen paper in place above the cake mixture. Cook on low for 2 hours, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leaving the cake in the ceramic insert, remove it from the slow cooker and transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut the cake into wedges to serve, serve warm or room temperature with cream if you like.