Today Grandma choose to cook Bill Grangers Chicken, eggplant and cherry tomato bake which was featured in the Age last weekend. It was absolutely delicious and very easy to cook. It’s a dish you can prepare in the morning and then later put into the oven an hour before dinner time. I find mornings are a great time to prepare meals as the house is generally calm and I have the energy.
Leroy thoroughly enjoyed this meal, especially the drum sticks as they were very tender and slightly sweet. Grandma doubled this recipe so there was plenty of seconds.
- 1 red onion
- 4 chicken legs, skin & flesh slashed
- salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp honey
- 4 Thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Large handful of breadcrumbs
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- Place eggplant and onion in a large roasting tin. Add chicken legs, season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp olive oil with honey, thyme, orange juice and 1 clove of garlic, then spoon over chicken and vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, orange zest, remaining garlic and remaining olive oil. Cover both the chicken and breadcrumb mix and chill in fridge for up to 12 hours if preparing ahead.
- Preheat oven to 200degrees. Bake chicken for 40-45mins, until golden. Remove from oven, stir in tomatoes, then top with prepared breadcrumb mix and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad of your choice.
Find link below to recipe from the Age;
Most Sunday’s we spend with the grandparents, and there is always something delicious cooking in the house when we arrive. Today it was BBQ Bream (caught by Grandpa) with some yummy sides so I thought I would share with you all.
Grandma’s BBQ Bream with sides
Soft goats cheese & avocado Salad
1 x bag of mixed lettuce leaves
1 x Avocado, cubed
1 x Cucumber, chopped
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
Caramelised balsamic vinegar for dressing Soft goats cheese
Combine all of the above
Place corn cobs individually in foil, top with butter, salt & pepper to taste, close foil wrappings. Cook on BBQ for 15 mins.
Ingredients; Medium sized whole bream 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated 1 x Shallot, sliced thinly
Wash fish and pat dry, slash flesh, lightly salt. Place on strip of foil( large enough to wrap fish) then sliced shallots and fresh ginger. Place fish on top then sprinkle more ginger & shallots on top. Splash some olive oil over fish and wrap. Cook on BBQ for approx 15 mins. Rest for 5 mins.
Serve with crusty bread heated on the BBQ. Enjoy.
Grandma’s first recipe post – Here is an easy Sunday lunch the family can enjoy.
BBQ Lamb fillet with dips, salads & flat bread
- Lamb fillet marinated with garlic & rosemary approx 1kg, serves 4 people
- Store bought Hummus dip – caramelised garlic version is popular
- Store bought Tzatziki dip
- Turkish flat bread- BBQ the bread & serve warm
- Potato x 6 medium size, peeled and cut into quarters
- Cucumber Salad includes; 1/2 Cucumber, thinly sliced, Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Thyme, 1 sprig, Dressing; Infused macadamia oil, 1 splash (different varieties available at the supermarket
- Rocket & Mango salad includes; Rocket, 1 packed, 1 x Mango, cut into bite size pieces, 1/2 cucumber, sliced thinly, Slivered almonds, 1 x handful, Pepitas, small sprinkle
Salad Dressing; 1 clove crushed garlic, salt & pepper, dash of raw sugar, 70ml olive oil, 30ml extra lite olive oil, 30ml pukara estate liqueur vinegar.
Fry lamb in frypan for 5 mins on each side to seal. Then roast in bbq for a further 15-20 minutes per 0.5kg for medium rare. Slice up and transfer to serving platter.
Bring potatoes to boil, simmer for 5 minutes, flush with cold water. Drain.
Toss in olive oil and bake in fry pan on BBQ for approx 30-40mins or until golden, transfer to serving plate.
Bring all ingredients of cucumber salad together and transfer to a serving bowl. Again bring all ingredients of Mango salad together and transfer to another serving bowl.
Place all dishes in the middle of the table and let the family serve themselves. Serve with dips and flat bread. Delicious.